Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Kendall Normal

Well, here I go. I've been back and forth about wanting to start a blog.  I've been reading several blogs of some amazing women and I feel like I can't even compete with their level of wisdom or rhetoric.  However, I did want to share my story, along with my joys and even my frustrations.  As I sit here and type, there is a mountain of boxes stacked by the front door that are filled with supplies for my 9 month old miracle baby.  Colin spent his first 201 days of his life in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at three different hospitals.  He has a trach, a g-tube, and a killer smile.  It is a very long story and I will get to that, but for my first post I wanted to explain the name of the blog, The Kendall Normal.  I can't tell you how many times I heard the words, "your new normal."  My normal for 7 months was driving to a hospital, talking to doctors and nurses, and helping to care for my son while he was lying in a hospital bed.  Now my new normal is caring for my son at home, acting not only (and most importantly) as his mom but also his nurse, making sure his oxygen saturations are safe, giving him his meds, and keeping him healthy.  That is our normal, for the time being.  I'll be honest, there are times that I wish our normal was a little different, a little easier, but I thank God every day for this little boy and all that he brings to our lives.  We've learned a lot over these past 11 months, not just about bronchopulmonary dysplasia, neonatal care, and tracheotomies, but about patience, humility, and grace.  I'm sure we have a lot more to learn and look forward to it.  For now, I better go put away and organize Colin's supplies, just another part of my new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment